Excused and Unexcused Absences
All absences are legally interpreted as being “excused” or “unexcused. (EC48205(a) A pupil shall be excused from school when the absence is:
1. Due to his or her illness
2. Due to quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer
3. For the purpose of having medical, dental, optometric, or chiropractic services rendered
4. For the purpose of attending the funeral services for a member of his or her immediate family, so long as the absence is not more than one day if the service is conducted in California and not more than three days if the service is conducted outside of California
5. For the purpose of jury duty in the manner provided by law
6. Due to the illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child of whom the pupil is the custodial parent
7. For justifiable personal reasons, including, but not limited to, an appearance in court, attendance at a funeral service, observance of a holiday or ceremony of his or her religion, attendance at religious retreats, attendance at an employment conference, or attending an educational conference on the legislative or judicial process offered by a nonprofit organization when the pupil’s absence is requested in writing by the parent or guardian and approved by the principal or a designated representative pursuant to uniform standards established by the governing board
Unexcused absences which violate education code are oversleeping, missing a ride to school, caring for others in the family, shopping, paying fines, studying, car trouble, vacation, visiting friends or relatives, lack of clothing, etc.
Reporting an Absence
Parents/Guardians are required to notify the Attendance Office daily when their student is absent for any reason. This may be done easily in one of two ways:
*IMPORTANT* All absences must be cleared within five days of the student’s return to school. On the sixth day the absence becomes unverified and cannot be changed after this date (BP AR5113b). Unverified absences are considered truancies and a Saturday Work Study may be issued. A Saturday Work Study may be given for all period absences that have not been cleared. Unverified absences may result in the student receiving zero credit in his/her classes. Students who forge notes or phone calls or impersonate a parent or guardian will receive a Saturday Work Study. A student caught bringing a forged note will no longer be allowed to bring notes to excuse absences. Students who forge notes or phone calls or impersonate a parent or guardian will receive a Saturday Work Study. A student caught bringing a forged note will no longer be allowed to bring notes to excuse absences. Parents/guardians may not allow the student or another person to act on their behalf in the area of phone calls and notes to excuse student absences – they will be considered forged. Students must attend Saturday Schools that are assigned. One “reschedule” per student per year is allowed if the parent contacts the school AP office by 3:00 p.m. the Friday before.
Any student leaving campus without being signed out or having written permission from a parent or guardian is consider TRUANT. Discipline may be issued if proper procedures are not followed.